Episode 5: “The New Mercy Turnpike”
- Going through the constituent parts of joy guides our approach to the New Evangelization. A major US meeting in 2017 sought to clarify the approach.
- The Church is an abundant source of mercy. We must request, receive and proclaim it. Reconciliation is crucial for joy. God’s mercy endures forever.
- Ken pointed out that Instructing the ignorant is a spiritual work of mercy.
- Pope Francis spread the Church’s message of mercy with the Special Jubilee of Mercy and the appointment of priests as missionaries of mercy.
- How do we show mercy to a world that desperately needs it? The Eucharist is central, re-presenting the sacrifice of Calvary, says Dives in Misericordia.
- Divine Mercy ties many themes of evangelization together. We need to embrace Christ’s perfect sacrifice and join together in gratitude for it.
- We need “forgiving” situations and conditions. Forgiving is not just a response but is a proactive pursuit. Bill mentioned “forgiving highways.”
- Exchanges of mercy are moments of hope. The Church sends us forth to seek out such encounters with the missioning “ite misa est” as Mass ends.